Teeth are one of the most common dream symbols.
In dreams teeth can represent one or more of the following:
- strength and aggressiveness
- youth, vitality
- greed or devouring instincts, envy
- your self-confidence or estimation of your abilities
Dreams involving the loss, breakage, yellowing of teeth are extremely common and are most often regarded by psychologists as signs that the dreamer is worried (consciously or sub-consciously) about the loss or weakening of his or her strength, youth, beauty, or self-confidence.
To dream about teeth or a tooth can symbolize the breakdown of psychological information in order to defeat, understand or integrate it (i.e chewing on something).
Dreaming of teeth or of a tooth can symbolize the ability to get what we want, words we say or swallow, our social appearance, and it is often sign of our age.
Dreaming of losing some or all of one’s teeth can mean “losing it”. Not being able to get what one really wants, hence it is experienced as a sort of death or loss of self. In some cultures losing teeth traditionally portends the death of a family member.
Bad tooth: a symbol of a painful part of one’s feelings, life or relationships; angry or regretful words.
False teeth: can mean false face, lies, breaking promises, or the aging process and loss of youthful looks.
Spitting out teeth: can mean admitting something, saying it or expressing it emotionally.
Teeth falling out in a dream can be interpreted as sense of loss, such as a death of someone close to you. Falling teeth can represent worries about getting older - loss of youth and vitality. If a single tooth is lost it could mean loss or change of something important to you.
To be toothless in a dream can be interpreted as loss of effectiveness, or again, feelings about aging.
Below are some traditional interpretations of teeth as dream symbols:
- An ordinary dream of teeth augurs the onset of illness, or disquieting people.
- If you dream that your teeth are loose, there will be failures and gloomy tidings.
- If the doctor pulls your tooth, you will suffer a lingering illness that will be severe , if not fatal.
- To have your teeth filled, you will recover lost valuables after much uneasiness.
- To clean or wash your teeth, foretells that some great struggle will be demanded of you in order to preserve your fortune.
- To dream that you are having a set of teeth made, denotes that severe crosses will fall upon you, and you will strive to throw them aside.
- If you lose your teeth, you will have burdens which will crush your pride and demolish your affairs.
- To dream that you have your teeth knocked out, denotes sudden misfortune. It may mean that your business will suffer, or that there will be death or accidents close to you.
- To dream of examining your teeth, is a warning to be careful of your affairs, as enemies are lurking near you.
- If your teeth appear decayed or crooked, your business or health will suffer from intense strains.
- To dream of spitting out teeth, portends personal sickness, or sickness in your immediate family.
- Imperfect teeth is one of the worst dreams. It predicts multiple mishaps for the dreamer. A loss of property, failure in one’s plans and desires, health problems, depression.
- For one tooth to fall out, foretells disagreeable news; if two, it denotes unhappy states that the dreamer will be plunged into from no carelessness on his part.
- To dream of tartar or any deposit falling off of the teeth and leaving them sound and white, is a sign of temporary indisposition, which will pass, leaving you wiser in regard to conduct, and you will find enjoyment in the discharge of duty.
- To admire your teeth for their whiteness and beauty, foretells that pleasant occupations and much happiness will be experienced through the fulfillment of wishes.
- To dream that a dentist cleans your teeth perfectly, and the next morning you find them dirty, foretells someone you trust will deceive you.